Friday 29th May 2020
TO keep things ticking over during the enforced lay-off from football, the club website will, from tomorrow, be running a countdown of Dumbarton’s 100 greatest games at what is now the C&G Systems Stadium during its first 20 years.
Four supporters heavily involved on the media side of the club have been hard at work in recent weeks ranking their favourite century of games played at the stadium.
And following the work of web correspondent Andy Galloway, Sons View editor Graeme Robertson and local press correspondents Jack Crawford and Fraser Clarke, we now have the final countdown.
The matches have been ranked by the average position each ‘pundit’ gave them in their own individual rankings.
We will start publishing the countdown tomorrow at 10am. Initially matches will be published in groups of five, but this number will decrease as we get closer to number one.
Here’s how it worked:
– The countdown includes matches played by Dumbarton at their current stadium since its first in December 2000.
– Competitive matches in national competitions only – so they must have been played in the league, Scottish Cup, League Cup or Challenge Cup. No friendlies, testimonials or Stirlingshire Cup fixtures.
– Under those criteria, there were initially 405 matches to choose from! For the record, the 400th was the December fixture against Montrose.
– There have been 151 defeats – these were automatically removed from the shortlist. We have drawn 85 (including matches decided on penalties) and 169 wins.
– Our final 100 features 91 wins and nine draws.
See you tomorrow at 10am to start the countdown!