Sunday 7th June 2020

TODAY, we feature game numbers 75 to 71 in our countdown of the 100 greatest games to be played at our stadium beside Dumbarton Rock.

Four important members of our club media team have worked in recent weeks to work out the rankings of the games played at the stadium in its first 20 years.

Graeme Robertson, Jack Crawford, Fraser Clarke and Andy Galloway compiled their own individual countdowns and the overall standings are based on average positions.

Today we feature games against Morton, Peterhead (twice), Arbroath and Airdrie.

Numbers 70 to 66 will be published on Tuesday at 10am.

75. Dumbarton 3-1 Morton – Saturday, August 24, 2013

Having lost all six points at home to Morton last season with an aggregate score of 8-1, Dumbarton owed the Greenock men something.

They also had to bounce back from a disappointing 4-1 defeat at Hamilton on the season’s second matchday the previous week – and delivered.

With new signings Hugh Murray and Colin Nish pitched in, Sons took 18 minutes to open the scoring through Mitch Megginson.

But that lead only lasted a minute, when Dougie Imrie levelled from the spot for Morton. It merely meant the script was written for who would restore the lead.

That was Nish, three minutes from half time to mark his debut with a goal. That lead was defended resolutely for much of the second half.

Victory was finally sealed with six minutes left, with Steven McDougall finishing clinically.

74. Dumbarton 3-0 Peterhead – Tuesday, February 22, 2011

This was part of the great catch-up, as one of the games postponed during the horrendous winter during the season.

It was also off the back of a satisfying 2-1 victory at Balmoor Stadium, secured with grit and goals by Ryan McStay and Jon McShane.

While that match was a closely-fought contest, this one was not. As soon as Mark Gilhaney got the opener after 34 minutes there was only likely to be one winner.

What chance there was of that changing disappeared five minutes later when the visitors had David Donald sent off for a professional foul.

Nine minutes into the second half Gilhaney had his second goal, and on the hour mark McShane made it a double against the Blue Toon by repeating his goalscoring deed from the previous match.

After three successive wins – East Fife also having been beaten away from home the previous midweek – things were looking up the way.

73. Dumbarton 5-2 Peterhead – Saturday, April 9, 2011

They had been looking up, but pushing for the top four was always a tall order. Nevertheless this was a convincing win – and one which landed Alan Adamson the manager’s post on a permanent basis.

Having been caretaker boss since October, the gaffer-in-waiting saw McShane continue his personal destruction job on Peterhead by opening the scoring on 28 minutes.

Pat Walker doubled the lead five minutes from half time and although Dennis Wyness pulled one back, Motherwell loanee Jordan Halsman restored the two-goal cushion within minutes.

With 17 minutes Gilhaney also continued to put Peterhead to the sword, converting a penalty to make it 4-1.

Peterhead did manage to pull another goal back with what was a fine finish by David Ross, but Sons had the final say of the afternoon.

Another loanee, Craig McLeish of Falkirk, put away the fifth goal within a minute of Ross’s, and Dumbarton, for the first time in four years, had five different goalscorers in a match.

Copyright Fullarton Photos 2019

72. Dumbarton 2-0 Arbroath – Saturday, March 2, 2019

This match, of course, did not stop Arbroath from winning League One. But it was satisfying all the same.

While the match above was played in glorious sunshine, this was played in conditions which did not make for a great spectacle – which as far as Dumbarton were concerned was fine.

They were ahead after 28 minutes when Ryan McCord fouled Ross Forbes in the area and the Sons midfielder scored from the spot.

Then on 52 minutes, Bobby Barr sent Dom Thomas clear on goal. Over his time on loan, the forward had already proven that he simply doesn’t miss those.

Despite Barr missing the target when set up by Thomas in trying to return the favour, Sons were never removed from their comfortable position.

Arbroath’s last chance went with nine minutes to go, when they had Michael McKenna sent off for two bookings.

71. Dumbarton 4-1 Airdrie – Saturday, April 20, 2013

Nearly over the line.

If you recall Dumbarton’s other home game with Airdrie this season – the one where we led 3-2 with a minute remaining and lost 4-3 – you’ll no doubt be astonished to know it doesn’t feature in this series.

It was important to guard against a repeat of such a scenario, the prospect of which was almost removed after six minutes when Andy Graham opened the scoring.

The Diamonds were getting detached at the foot of the table and Sons really had them where they wanted them either side of half time.

Paul McGinn made it 2-0 two minutes from the interval, Steven McDougall added the third three minutes after it.

Despite future Sons player Gregor Buchanan getting one back for the visitors, a fourth goal by Scott Agnew sealed victory with 16 minutes left.

That left Sons potentially one victory away from clinching survival. That, of course, was achieved at Cowdenbeath the next Saturday, and the season then ended with the 0-0 draw at home to Partick Thistle we’ve already read about.

Leave a comment


Sons Sign Up

Become a member of our online community and get tickets to upcoming matches faster!

Please wait...

Thank you for sign up!