Saturday 20th June 2020

WE are now approaching the business end of our countdown of the Rock’s 100 greatest games, with the top 40 starting today.

Media team members Andy Galloway, Graeme Robertson, Jack Crawford and Fraser Clarke have worked to compile the countdown.

Today we feature games against St Mirren, Stenhousemuir (twice), Cowdenbeath and Alloa Athletic.

Numbers 35 to 31 will be online tomorrow at 10am.

40. Dumbarton 1-0 St Mirren – Saturday, December 12, 2015

This was the fixture which had been awaited for seven months. Having sat in the home dugout at the stadium for two and a half seasons, Ian Murray would now occupy the away one.

His first home league game in charge of his new club, newly-relegated St Mirren, had been a 2-1 defeat at home to Dumbarton. But there was a bit more at stake on his return to his former home ground.

Things looked ominous as early as the fifth minute, when Kevin Cawley’s header found the net but was ruled out for a push on a defender.

Grant Gallagher and Garry Fleming each went close for Sons in an engrossing contest, but they ended up linking up for the game’s pivotal moment.

Five minutes into the second half, Gallagher set Fleming up to spin on the edge of the area and roll home a shot into the corner.

An outstanding effort at the back for the remainder of the afternoon ensured victory on St Mirren’s first competitive visit to the stadium.

Copyright Fullarton Photos 2015

39. Dumbarton 3-1 Stenhousemuir – Saturday, April 26, 2003

Two incidents made this game stand out – one controversial, the other much more positive.

Only nine minutes into it, Paddy Flannery headed Dumbarton in front as the unbeaten start to Brian Fairley’s tenure as manager looked set to continue.

But the lead lasted just seven further minutes as Brian Crawford equalised for Stenhousemuir. Ten minutes from the interval, though, Iain Russell’s first goal for DFC restored the advantage.

Later in the first half came the real flashpoint of the afternoon. An off the ball incident resulted in a huge bust-up which saw Warriors boss John McVeigh enter the pitch.

His striker Martin Harty was dismissed, but Stenny kept making a game of it in the second half before an outrageous moment in the final minutes.

Neil Scally collected possession on the halfway line, saw the visiting keeper out of his goal, and found the net from 45 yards. What a way to win it.

38. Dumbarton 4-0 Stenhousemuir – Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Stenny again, less than a year on. This, though, was much less of a contest.

In a game postponed from January, Iain Russell had Dumbarton ahead in less than a minute after intercepting a slack pass.

He had his second goal after 13 minutes and only four minutes later Chris Boyle got the third goal against a Stenny side who were struggling and went on to be relegated.

The Warriors did manage to prevent Dumbarton from scoring as often as they were in the early stages, although all doubt about the outcome was well removed.

The final goal came from Steven Bonar, who converted from a corner with 15 minutes left to make it what was at the time a record victory for Sons at the stadium.

The other sight for Sons fans on the evening was Paddy Flannery and Andy Brown playing together upfront, as they had many times at the stadium. This time, though, it was for the Warriors.

37. Dumbarton 3-0 Cowdenbeath – Wednesday, March 7, 2001

There’s already a little bit of history attached to this game. Back in January it became the first to be postponed at the stadium.

As a result, this was also the first competitive game to be played fully under the lights beside the Rock – and Dumbarton made it an even more notable one.

The opening goal came from John Dillon on 31 minutes, and four minutes later Cowdenbeath had Anton Smith sent off.

Nine minutes after the restart it was 2-0 through Andy Brown, and with it being Cowdenbeath, Paddy Flannery had to score. He did so after 68 minutes for 3-0.

This was the Blue Brazil’s fourth defeat in five visits to Dumbarton – they did beat us in our other home clash with them that season but that was played in Coatbridge.

It had been clear for some time that Sons were not going to compete for promotion but this put a dent in Cowden’s challenge, although they did go on to win a place in the Second Division.

Copyright Fullarton Photos 2015

36. Dumbarton 5-0 Alloa Athletic – Tuesday, December 8, 2015

This instalment has gone full circle. We finish it with a game played four days before the first one, and this is the third in a row to be played in midweek.

We’ve also already heard about a quick goal, but it wasn’t as quick as Donald McCallum’s after 15 seconds which opened the scoring for Dumbarton.

Garry Fleming quickly added a second in this Scottish Cup tie which was postponed the previous month, but it wasn’t until the late stages that we really piled it on for Alloa.

With 12 minutes left, a future Alloa player combined with a past and future Alloa player for 3-0, Kevin Cawley playing in Jordan Kirkpatrick to score with a fine bending shot.

When Alloa’s future Sons player Dougie Hill had a header cleared off the line, the Wasps were convinced it wasn’t going to be their night.

And when Calum Waters (another future Wasp) made it 4-0 on 88 minutes, and Kirkpatrick added the fifth in injury time, the romance of the cup was alive and well.

Leave a comment


Sons Sign Up

Become a member of our online community and get tickets to upcoming matches faster!

Please wait...

Thank you for sign up!