Saturday 30th May 2020

TODAY we begin our countdown of our 100 greatest games to be played at the Rock in its first 20 years.

These have been decided by a panel of four supporters – web correspondent Andy Galloway, Sons View editor Graeme Robertson and local newspaper correspondents Jack Crawford and Fraser Clarke.

The games have been ranked according to average positions allocated by our four ‘pundits’.

Today we feature games number 100 to 96, against East Stirlingshire, Brechin City, Partick Thistle, Albion Rovers and Arbroath.

Numbers 95 to 91 will be online tomorrow at 10am.

100. Dumbarton 4-1 East Stirlingshire – Saturday, November 3, 2012

Hardly the most scintillating game of the season and perhaps a little flattering in terms of the scoreline, but a needed victory for Dumbarton.

The only victory in any competition so far in this season was a cup tie at home to a Third Division side, Albion Rovers. It was important, for morale if nothing else, to start the Scottish Cup campaign with a win over another fourth tier outfit, East Stirlingshire at the third round stage.

All seemed well when Andy Graham headed home Scott Agnew’s cross to open the scoring on 13 minutes – but a minute from half time, David Greenhill levelled for the visitors.

However, Sons managed to restore their lead before half time, Garry Fleming crossing for Jim Lister to head home.

Bryan Prunty effectively secured victory with 14 minutes left, and Alan Lithgow did put a place in round four in the can in the 89th minute. Things then kicked on the following week, with the first league victory of the season posted at Cowdenbeath.

99. Dumbarton 2-1 Brechin City – Saturday, September 16, 2017

Another game after a winless start to the league season, albeit slightly earlier. Brechin City were already finding life tough in the Championship although few could have foreseen how tough it would end up being for them.

This being the first meeting of the two part-time sides, victory was priceless to either of them, and within less than two minutes, Brechin were positioned to get it.

Jordan Sinclair’s angled shot found the net via a touch from Scott Gallacher, and despite dominating the rest of the first half, Dumbarton were up against it.

Even after Aaron Lynas was sent off for Brechin with 20 minutes left, it was a further 12 before Sons could finally get themselves level.

After Mark Stewart fired home Christian Nade’s knock-down, it was there to be won, and with four minutes to play, Sons did that.

Nade again was the creator, sending over a low ball from which Dimitris Froxylias could hardly miss (pictured below). One of his ‘less spectacular’ goals in a DFC shirt, but no less important.

Copyright Fullarton Photos 2017

98. Dumbarton 0-0 Partick Thistle – Saturday, May 4, 2013

Back to season 2012/13, and perhaps the game with the least at stake over this entire countdown.

After taking until November to post their first victory, few people fancied Dumbarton to have this game with Partick Thistle as a glorified friendly.

But with the Jags already champions, that’s all it really was. Just about everybody in the 1,528 crowd had something to celebrate and that was reflected in the positive ethos around the stadium.

Maybe a little predictably, it wasn’t a classic 90 minutes, but there was one moment which on another day could have sparked it into life.

Midway through the second half, Scott Agnew’s shot from distance hit the post and rebounded away to safety.

It was all about seeing it through to the end, celebrating a remarkable achievement in staying up, and looking to move forward from there.

97. Dumbarton 1-1 Albion Rovers – Saturday, September 15, 2001

Having lost two of their opening three home league games already, going down to nine men was hardly how Dumbarton envisaged boosting their record on their pitch.

Ten minutes from half time, Michael Dickie had a free kick awarded against him after seeming to simply jump for a high ball with an opponent.

Confusion turned to bewilderment when the foul award was followed by a straight red card. With the man advantage it was somewhat predictable that Albion Rovers would take the lead, as they did through Mark Booth on 53 minutes.

Seven minutes after that Kevin McCann wanted to take a throw-in a couple of yards too far upfield for the referee’s liking.

He took exception to being told to move back, threw the ball down in dissent, got a booking, and as it was his second, he was gone as well.

It was looking very, very ominous, but when Paddy Flannery headed the equaliser with 13 minutes left, the point was readily accepted. And who was to tell how important it could be come the end of the season?

96. Dumbarton 2-1 Arbroath – Saturday, February 23, 2008

It’s hard to tell what is more paradoxical about this game. One – Arbroath won promotion at the end of this season despite never posting a victory against Dumbarton (all three other meetings were draws).

Or two – that Mark Canning had never scored prior to this game. Given how he finished the two goals that decided it, that seems strange.

Arbroath had already been reduced to 10 men when Jamie Bishop was sent off, and eight minutes from half time, Sons were given a free kick 20 yards out.

It may have been a surprise to see Canning step up – but when he drilled it low into the corner, nobody was complaining.

The lead wasn’t seen through to half time, as three minutes from the interval Bryan Scott got a leveller for Arbroath.

But on 61 minutes – another free kick, same distance, different end of the stadium, but the same player and the same outcome.

And Sons won again the next week, away to Albion Rovers. Guess which player scored the game’s only goal? When you’re in form, you’re in form.

Leave a comment


Sons Sign Up

Become a member of our online community and get tickets to upcoming matches faster!

Please wait...

Thank you for sign up!