Tuesday 14th July 2020

FOR the second day in a row, a game from 2016 features in our countdown of the 100 greatest matches to take place at what is currently the C&G Systems Stadium.

The series is based on individual placings awarded by supporters Fraser Clarke, Andy Galloway, Graeme Robertson and Jack Crawford, all part of the club’s media team.

Today’s game was the second instalment of a remarkable double victory over a team who achieved so much themselves during the same season.

Number 3 will be online tomorrow at 10am.

4. Dumbarton 3-2 Hibernian – Saturday, February 27, 2016

After events earlier in the season, optimism was understandably high.

But could Dumbarton really make it two victories out of two against a team who had already reached one cup final and go on to reach – and win – another?

And would they really be in a position during the afternoon where they would be three goals to the good against that side?

Hibernian would end the season as Scottish Cup winners and League Cup runners-up. However, their two visits to the Rock yielded nothing.

Sons’ second victory over them, though, was only achieved after an afternoon of rigorously checking watches. When Hibs got it back to 3-2, things got very nervous.

Four years down the line, though, the history books record that Dumbarton recorded two wins at home to them during the season.

The first blow was struck on 21 minutes. Kevin Cawley got the break of the ball on the edge of the area and rolled home the opening goal.

The second came with two minutes left of the first half. Mark Docherty sent a high ball into the area and Christian Nade got to it ahead of the goalkeeper to head home.

Copyright Fullarton Photos 2016

We had the 15-minute interval to digest that Dumbarton led Hibernian 2-0. Within minutes of the restart, we had to take in that the margin was three.

Calum Waters’ corner was bulleted home by the head of skipper Darren Barr. This was now in extraordinary territory.

Hibs did respond, with Liam Henderson getting their first goal back on 57 minutes by bending home a fine individual effort.

And after Martin Boyle’s shot hit a post, they ensured a nervous ending to the game. When Farid El Alagui put away a corner on 72 minutes, it was watch-from-behind-the-sofa time.

Jason Cummings was twice close to equalising for Hibs during a final 18 minutes played almost exclusively in the Sons half.

But with every shoulder put to the wheel, that was as close as the visitors got. The result that was thought impossible by many outside G82, G83 and G84 had happened again.

Dumbarton: Ewings; Docherty, Saunders, Buchanan, Cawley (Kirkpatrick 79), Barr, Waters, Lindsay, Wright, Walsh (Taggart 67), Nade (Fleming 62). Subs: Brown; McCallum, Hopkins, Heh.

Hibernian: Oxley; Henderson, Hanlon (Fontaine 63), Bartley (Boyle 58), Stevenson, McGinn, Keatings (El Alagui 58), Carmichael, McGregor, Gunnarsson, Cummings. Subs: Virtanen; Dagnall, Thomson, Shaw.

Referee: Barry Cook.

Leave a comment


Sons Sign Up

Become a member of our online community and get tickets to upcoming matches faster!

Please wait...

Thank you for sign up!