2 - 0
Full Time


Dumbarton’s first game of the second quarter of the season ended in disappointment as they suffered a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Spartans at Ainslie Park.

Second-half goals from Cammy Russell and Bradley Whyte meant that Sons missed out on the chance to go top of cinch League Two.

After a break last weekend due to international and cup football taking centre stage, both sides were back in action for the first time in a couple of weeks at Ainslie Park with boss Stevie Farrell making no changes from the side that were 4-0 winners against Clyde last time out.

Sons were in control of possession for much of the first-half but failed to seriously test Jacques Heraghty between the Spartans posts throughout with the pick of the chances early on falling to the home side as Russell had a volley at the back post held by Brett Long at the second attempt and another effort from Rhys Armstrong flew narrowly over the crossbar.

As the half went on, the visitors would start to find a few gaps in an otherwise well organised Spartans defence.

Tony Wallace done well to twist and turn on the edge of the box and clip a ball in towards David Wilson but he volleyed his effort over on the turn before another good cross, this time from Ryan Wallace, landed at the feet of Matty Shiels six-yards from goal with Heraghty doing just enough to get something on the ball after the Sons full-back poked it towards goal.

There was time for one more chance before the interval but Michael Ruth, slightly off balance and from a tight angle, fired over the bar.

Half-time seemed to come at a bad point for the Sons who were knocking on the door for the opener and in truth the away side never seemed to get a hold of the game again after the break.

Two shots from almost identical areas from Spartans nearly resulted in the first goal of the game as Danny Denholm then Russell both dragged efforts off target from central positions.

A few minutes after the hour, the hosts would open the scoring in fairly route one fashion.

Heraghty’s goal-kick was glanced on by Blair Henderson and latched on to by Russell, who slotted past the onrushing Long – three touches of the ball from back to front and Sons found themselves behind.

Aron Lynas, James Hilton, Finlay Gray and Ross MacLean were all introduced as Dumbarton frantically searched for an equaliser but Spartans remained as organised as ever.

It was the home side who came closest to finding the second goal with Russell’s free-kick crashing off the bar before some determined defending from Dumbarton prevented the follow-up from being put into the net.

Sons’ best opportunity came through a long throw from Lynas that dropped to the feet of Carlo Pignatiello but Heraghty was off his line sharply to block his shot.

It was from another Dumbarton long throw that Spartans would end up finding the second – they quickly broke up the park after Sons threw bodies forward and Whyte was on hand to sweep the ball home and cap off a quick counter with just a few minutes to go.


Sons Sign Up

Become a member of our online community and get tickets to upcoming matches faster!

Please wait...

Thank you for sign up!