Full Time


Dumbarton squeezed past Kilmarnock ‘B’ on penalties to move into the second round of the SPFL Trust Trophy.

Carlo Pignatiello had Sons ahead but Bobby Wales netted an equaliser for the home side after the interval to send the game to penalties.

After 17 consecutive scored penalties, Harry Broun was the hero for Dumbarton as he made the decisive save to book his sides spot in round three.

Boss Stevie Farrell made eight changes for the tie, giving game time to some of those who haven’t featured as much at the start of the season whilst also looking to get the likes of Finlay Gray and Kalvin Orsi back up to full match sharpness.

The home side started stronger and Gray was well placed to step back into defence to steal the ball off Brannan before Wales met a cross from the right with a first-time shot that flew over the bar.

The first shot on target, however, fell to Dumbarton when Matty Shiels headed the ball across goal for Gray who was then denied by O’Hara.

Wales was a real handful to the experienced Sons centre-half duo of Mark Durnan and Sean Crighton and had another opening just after the 20-minute mark but he dragged his shot wide.

At the other end, Gray was involved for Dumbarton again as he beat O’Hara to a long ball and cut the ball back for Orsi but it just got away from him.

With less than five minutes until the interval, Dumbarton took the lead when Pignatiello received the ball on the edge of the box and picked his spot, curling a terrific shot across goal and into the top corner.

Killie couldn’t have come closer to finding an equaliser with the last touch of the half when Wales drilled a strike that hit the inside of the post, rolled across the goal-line and went behind.

After the break, Gray slipped a pass through for Ryan Wallace and he forced O’Hara into a one-handed stop.

The hosts were level on 65 minutes and it was no surprise who found the net.

A quick move was met by Wales and his strike squeezed it’s way past Broun.

The youngsters tails were up and Sons had to hack an effort off the line as they nearly fell behind whilst James Hilton fired a shot over for Sons.

With no more goals it was straight to penalties with Hilton, David Wilson, Orsi, Ryan Blair, Tony Wallace, Gregg Wylde, Ross MacLean, Durnan and Aron Lynas all successful from the spot before Broun saved to secure Sons name in the hat for round three.

The draw the following afternoon paired Dumbarton with a home tie against Kelty Hearts, in what is set to be the first ever meeting between the clubs.


Sons Sign Up

Become a member of our online community and get tickets to upcoming matches faster!

Please wait...

Thank you for sign up!