3 - 1
Full Time


Dumbarton returned to winning ways with a 3-1 victory over Stranraer in their final home match of the first quarter of the season.

After back-to-back defeats against Elgin City and Peterhead, Sons were looking to get back on track at the Rock and did so thanks to goals from Tony Wallace, Ryan Wallace and Michael Ruth.

Boss Stevie Farrell’s decision to make two changes and bring the two Wallace’s seemed to pay off as they replaced Greig Young and Declan Byrne in the starting line-up.

The home side started on the front foot with R Wallace’s corner causing a few problems in the Stranraer defence before the ball eventually dropped to T Wallace, but his shot from the edge of the box flew over.

At the other end, James Dolan created space on the left-hand side of the penalty area but dragged his effort wide before the imposing Scott Robertson got on the end of two set-piece deliveries but couldn’t test Brett Long.

Missed chances had hurt cost Sons points in recent weeks and when Kalvin Orsi’s cross flew agonisingly over the far corner it looked as if it might be one of those days yet again.

On 24 minutes, Ben Armour netted for Stranraer as he was all alone at the back post after Robertson had helped the ball across goal.

The response from Dumbarton was impressive and they were level just four minutes later as Tony Wallace helped the ball over the line after some heroics from goalkeeper Lewis Budinauckas and a miskick from Ruth to bring Sons on level terms.

The hosts were well in control by this stage and were looking to take the lead but Budinauckas was in impressive form, out sharply on one occassion to prevent David Wilson and Ryan Wallace before the duo combined again, only to be frustrated by the goalkeeper once more who tipped the former’s prodded effort over the bar.

Sons did manage to find a way past the Rangers loanee before half-time as Matty Shiels’ cross was punched away by Budinauckas and straight to the feet of R Wallace who drilled the ball into the net.

The second period was a little over ten minutes old when Farrell’s side secured a well deserved two-goal cushion, and it came in some style.

A quick passing move had Wilson racing down the right after an incisive pass from R Wallace with his low cross perfect for Ruth who raced on to the ball without breaking a stride to slot the ball into the bottom corner.

Dumbarton were able to see the game out in a comfortable manner ahead of the final quarter of the season concluding against Clyde at the ZLK Stadium.


Sons Sign Up

Become a member of our online community and get tickets to upcoming matches faster!

Please wait...

Thank you for sign up!