3 - 1
Full Time


Dumbarton secured their first league win of the season with a second-half comeback against Forfar Athletic.

Seb Ross has fired the visitors ahead in the first-half but Sons hit back after the break with goals from David Wilson, Finlay Gray and Ross MacLean securing three points.

Boss Stevie Farrell made four changes from the side that earned a penalty shootout victory over Kilmarnock ‘B’ during the week with Brett Long, Greig Young, Ryan Blair and David Wilson all returning to the starting eleven.

The afternoon started slow with no real sights of goal for either side in the opening quarter of an hour – however space did open up for Mark Whatley for the visitors on the edge of the box but his effort was dragged wide.

There was a clearer opportunity just before the twenty minute mark when Kieran Inglis beat Long to a ball over the top of the Dumbarton defence. He prodded the ball past the Dumbarton goalkeeper and looked set to roll the ball into an empty net but lost his footing at the crucial moment which allowed Sean Crighton to step in and clear the danger.

Forfar were enjoying the better of the chances as Sons failed to get to grips with the windy conditions that resulted in a lot of balls from the back going out for goal kicks at the other end of the park.

The visitors would be rewarded for their start with the opening goal just before the half hour. The ball broke to Ross outside the penalty area and he burst into the box before rifling a strike into the top corner.

It was the first time Dumbarton have fallen behind in the league this season and they were fortunate it never got worse before the break with Inglis just inches away from getting on the end of Finn Robson’s low cross before Long was called into action with a smart save to deny Ross after a missed clearance presented him with an opportunity.

Half-time arrived with Faz changing things up at the break with a new shape for the second period.

MacLean replaced Matty Shiels with Carlo Pignatiello and Greig Young moving to a wing-back role on either side of the park and Aron Lynas joined Sean Crighton and Mark Durnan in the centre of defence as Sons switched to a back five.

The move immediately paid off with a number of good chances falling Dumbarton’s way in the opening minutes of the half.

Gray curled a shot just off target, substitute MacLean hit the side netting with a back post header and Ryan Wallace blazed over from a central position as the hosts looked for an equaliser, though they still has to be aware of the threat from the Loons as Inglis passed up a glorious opportunity when he shot straight at Long.

The pressure from Sons would soon pay off just before the hour – though there was a touch of fortune about it.

A cross from Young on the left-hand side was spilled by the normally frustratingly reliable and impressive Marc McCallum straight into the path of Wilson, who was quickest to react as he stroked the ball into an empty net.

The introduction of James Hilton and Blair Malcolm midway through the half reaffirmed Sons control of the game and with ten minutes to go they would go ahead.

Lynas had stepped out from the back and into midfield, he picked up the ball and slid through a stunning pass that cut the Forfar defence in two that was met by Gray who slid the ball under the onrushing McCallum.

Hilton was enjoying himself after coming on and nearly picked up an assist just 60 seconds later when he stole the ball off Andy Munro and cut back for MacLean who was only denied by a crucial block.

MacLean was close to ending the goal of the season competition after just three games when he flicked up a pass with his back to goal and volleyed on the turn with McCallum making a stunning save to tip his strike onto the cross bar.

He wouldn’t have to wait long to get on the score sheet as he sealed the points on 88 minutes, slotting the ball past McCallum with Hilton getting the assist he had also earned.

Gray was close to adding a fourth before full-time but drilled his effort off target with just McCallum to beat.

It didn’t matter, however, as the full-time whistle blew and Dumbarton picked up their first home win in the league since April to maintain their unbeaten start after three games of the 2023/24 cinch League Two campaign.


Sons Sign Up

Become a member of our online community and get tickets to upcoming matches faster!

Please wait...

Thank you for sign up!