4 - 0
Full Time


Dumbarton football club
Dumbarton, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland, G82 1LG, United Kingdom


Dumbarton returned to winning ways in cinch League Two with a comfortable home victory over Bonnyrigg Rose.

Two goals in either half through Tony Wallace and Finlay Gray in the first followed by Michael Ruth and Matty Shiels in the second secured three points for the hosts at the Rock.

Boss Stevie Farrell made a couple of changes to the side that started last weeks cup victory over Banks O’Dee with Kalvin Orsi and Ryan Wallace brought back into the starting line-up in place of Ryan Blair and Ross MacLean.

The visitors started the game brightly and were nearly ahead after a matter of seconds when Ross Gray advanced on goal with just Brett Long to beat after a slip by Aron Lynas, but the Sons shotstopper stood up well and took a sore one to the face to keep out his shot.

Rose continued their pressure with a succession of corners inside the opening minutes but failed to make any count.

At the other end, a break of the ball presented Dumbarton with an overload as they raced towards goal with Ryan Wallace sending Gray through on goal but his left footed strike was saved by the legs of Paddy Martin.

After an entertaining start, the opening goal would come from the penalty spot on 12 minutes, Shiels was quickest to react to a loose ball inside the box – too quick for Angus Mailer – and he was brought down with Duncan Williams pointing straight to the spot.

Tony Wallace stepped up and found the corner for his seventh goal of the season – already overtaking last season’s top goalscorer, Gregor Buchanan, who netted six.

Carlo Pignatiello and Mailer were then both off target for their respective teams after picking up the ball in promising areas before Sons added a second.

Wallace turned provider out on the left-hand side when he clipped a ball into the box that was met by Gray six yards from goal and then stabbed into the net.

After the interval. Dumbarton should have added to their lead but Lynas glanced a header wide before Rose took control of the game for 15 minutes.

Despite their possession, they failed to test Long between the sticks as the hosts seemed happy to weather the storm for a quarter of an hour before hitting the visitors on the break to add a third.

Shiels had already won a penalty earlier in the game and was again influential for the third goal on 66 minutes when he made his way into the penalty box, jinking past one and skinning another, before dinking in a ball that was met by Ruth and headed in from close range.

Just a couple of minutes later, the Sons full-back was at it again when he capitalised on Martin spilling a cross from Tony Wallace by picking up on the loose ball and slamming past two defenders on the line.

After finding goal number four and making the points safe, Farrell took the opportunity to get his substitutes involved as David Wilson, Ryan Blair, Ross MacLean, Declan Byrne and Luca Vata were all introduced for the final 15 minutes.

Shiels nearly picked up goal contribution number four of the afternoon in the closing stages when his cross fell to Vata, but the half-volley from the youngster whistled past the post and hit the side netting.

Sons keep in touch with Peterhead at the top of the division with the result as they now prepare for a trip to Methil where East Fife await.


Sons Sign Up

Become a member of our online community and get tickets to upcoming matches faster!

Please wait...

Thank you for sign up!