Tuesday 26th December 2017

AFTER a hopeful opening, defensive slip-ups proved costly for Dumbarton at the YOUR Radio 103FM Stadium this afternoon, as the men from the Rock went down 4-1 to rivals Livingston in the only SPFL Championship Boxing Day fixture.

Sons started brightly in the early kickoff game, going in front on 25 minutes from a superbly taken goal.

The move involved a terrific ball to Ally Roy from Stuart Carswell over the Livi defence, and an equally good finish to make it 1-0 for the home side.

Then things started to go wrong. Two minutes after the opener a mix-up at the back let Livingston’s Hackett fire a loose ball into the net for the equaliser.

Tom Walsh had a chance to put Dumbarton ahead again on the half hour, but shot over the bar.

Then just before half-time Livingston took the lead, when another error allowed Byrne in to finish clinically for 2-1.

There were two big changes for Sons at the break, with Christian Nade and Dimitrios Froxylias coming on for Calum Gallagher and Chris Johnston.

But on 58 minutes Livi’s De Vita burst down the right and cut back to Mackin for a simple third goal.

The game was put firmly to bed on 78 minutes when Robinson drove the ball through the defence for 4-1 after Sons failed to clear their lines.

Keeper Scott Gallacher spared Dumbarton further embarrassment with a great save, diving to his right to prevent the visitors from adding a fifth goal from the penalty spot seven minutes from time.

However, the pain was increased by other means when Kyle Hutton was sent off for a second yellow card in two minutes right at the end.

Dumbarton will now have a few days to regroup for another important home game — the last of 2017 — against Greenock Morton on Saturday 30th December.

Full match report, reaction, and Sons TV to follow. Match photos now online

Simon Barrow

Leave a comment


Sons Sign Up

Become a member of our online community and get tickets to upcoming matches faster!

Please wait...

Thank you for sign up!