Tuesday 22nd September 2020
WHILE the Scottish Premiership season will continue, the phased return of football fans from early October is now “unlikely”, the First Minister said today as part of an announcement of new restrictions needed to keep the Covid-19 virus under control.
The indicative date for allowing crowds in stadiums had already been moved back from 14th September to 5th October.
Further pilot events are now on hold, with the situation due to be reviewed again in three weeks’ time.
Speaking to the Scottish Parliament following detailed advice from medical scientists and discussions with the other governments, the First Minister said: “It’s important I indicate today that the route map changes with an indicative date of October 5 are unlikely now to go ahead on that timescale.”
The question of how to proceed with the intended lower league season return on 17th October will now be subject to further discussion.
On Saturday the Scottish Governments national clinical director, Professor Jason Leitch, said that crowds in stadiums are “slightly more at risk” after a rise in Covid-19 cases.
There is also a needed to clarify what new restrictions might mean for testing protocols among clubs in the Championship, League One and League Two.
Dumbarton FC chairman, John Steele, said: “Obviously we are keeping all these issues under close review within the club, as well as seeking further advice and guidance from the football authorities and staying in touch with other clubs who are affected in a smilier way to us.
“We will say more as soon as we are able. These are difficult times for Scottish football, but we are working hard to see a way through.”