Saturday 18th September 2021

IT WAS tears for the Bairns when battling Dumbarton survived a lot of pressure to beat Falkirk 2-1 in a cinch League One match.

Stevie Farrell’s men took the field at the Falkirk Stadium wearing their home strip, sporting for the first time the name of new shirt and stadium sponsors They were without the injured Ross MacLean up front.

The home side mounted the first attack, when a dangerous cross from Samuel Ompreon was well defended by Ryan McGeever. It was the 13th minute before Sons created an opening, but Kalvin Orsi’s pass was intercepted.

Two Sons free kicks came to nothing before a Charlie Telfer shot went just wide, and a minute later Paddy Boyle cleared an Aidan Nesbitt shot off the line. Carlo Pignatiello and Boyle were both then booked for fouls on Ompreon before a Michael Ruth header clipped the crossbar.

Just before the end of a half dominated by the home side, Gregor Buchanan broke forward but was felled by Steven Hetherington who was booked.

The second half began with the Bairns still dominating and creating several chances. But it was Sons who opened the scoring in the 59th minute when Conner Duthie set up Kalvin Orsi (pictured) who netted.

The hosts then took charge again, with keeper Sam Ramsbottom saving well from Ruth and Telfer. But again Sons replied with a goal, this time a first for Sons from young midfielder Callum Wilson, beating two defenders to net in the 68th minute.

Four minutes later young on loan Hearts striker Ryan Schiavone replaced Orsi, then another Telfer strike was saved by Ramsbottom. Andy Geggan replaced Joe McKee then Eoghan Stokes came on for Wilson.

Schiavone received treatment and had a large bandage on his head when Telfer pulled one back for the hosts in the 97th minute before the final whistle made it three wins in a row for Sons.

Donald Fullarton

Leave a comment


Sons Sign Up

Become a member of our online community and get tickets to upcoming matches faster!

Please wait...

Thank you for sign up!